116 - AlpenPix (Wild) - 2007-02-04|
(Dimension: 1316 x 658 pixels - Counter: 4471)
(Uploaded as: Sclerocactus whipplei)
Photographer: Jane Hendrix
Note: Whipple's Fishhook Cactus; 12 inches tall; pink.
Photo taken at about 5,000 feet in Rabbit Valley, Mesa County, Colorado on May 10.
(Click on the picture to enlarge)
- Identification: Dorde Woodruff (2010-12-03) =Sclerocactus parviflorus
- Nice photo but S whipplei grows ony in Navajo Rez and thereabouts, has yellow flowers. Sclerocacti are widey mis- identified.
- Identification: Jane Hendrix (2010-12-03) =Sclerocactus whipplei var. intermedius
- add \"var. intermedius\" to \"Sclerocactus whipplei\" (source: Colorado Flora - Western Slope, by William A. Weber), synonym of S. parviflorus ssp. intermedius.
- Note: Eric Gouda (2010-12-06) - If some body can confirm the name Sclerocactus parviflorus, please add your identification note (Sent: Alpinefirstname.lastname@example.org)
- Identification: Panayoti Kelaidis (2010-12-06) =Sclerocactus parviflorus
- Sclerocactus whipplei used to be used for the whole complex (older editions) but now is restricted to the type form Dorde refers to: our Colorado curved spined Scleros are all parviflorus: this is a super specimen! (Sent: Alpineemail@example.com)